Why have a SSL Certificate?
You may want to add an SSL Certificate to Savance Workplace to ensure the owning organization is legitimate and not a third-party, or other unsavory organization, which may use your information for illicit purposes
What is the purpose of an SSL on a web server?
When a SSL certificate is used on a web server, it activates the padlock and the HTTPS protocol and allows secure connections from a web server to a browser. Typically, SSL is used to secure credit card transactions, data transfer and logins, and more recently is becoming the norm when securing browsing of social media sites.
How do I get a SSL Certification?
The certificates must be issued by a Certificate Authority, which must verify the identity and legitimacy of those who request a certificate. You can request for a certificate by doing the following:
- Navigate to the Start Menu -> Type in “Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager” -> Select Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
- Click on your computer name in the left window pane
- In the middle of the screen under IIS select Server Certificates
- In the right window pane click Create Certificate Request
- Now type in your Company Name, Organization, Organization Unit, City/Locality, State/Providence, and Country/Region where applicable and then click Next
- Select your Cryptographic service provider (They encrypt your request for your SSL Certificate and are not the ones giving you your digital certificate) and Bit length
- Next Specify a file name for your Certificate request and save it somewhere safe
- You can now send this request file to your desired SSH provider for approval
Below are some sources you can purchase your SSL Certificate from:
How to assign an SSL Certificate to the Savance EIOBoard website:
- Navigate to the EIOBoard site in IIS
- Edit Site Bindings
- In the Site Binding window either add a binding for HTTPS, or edit the HTTPS binding if it already exists
- If adding a new binding, set type to HTTPS
- Once on HTTPS, select the SSL Certificate on the server you wish to use
- Click OK and your website should now be configured to accept secure connection and tied to an SSL Certificate